Do you know why Eastern Peoples/Asians never drink Cold Water? Because they are Smart!
Why is that whenever you go to a Chinese restaurant they never serve you ice water in a jug … only warm tea? Hmmm!
What is one of the simplest, yet most profound things you can do to protect yourself from getting sick (colds & flu’s etc), to avoid that ‘heavy/depressed’ winter feeling, improving circulation, minimising arthritic pain and constipation, helping your body do a daily detox, and helping with weight loss – particularly winter weight loss?
Ancient Ayurvedic Medicine Tip:
AVOID Cold (particularly ice-cold or chilled) Drinks, and in the Colder Months, Drink Warm or Slightly Hot (Boiled) Water.
Do you know why we get a fever when we’re sick? The increased body temperature helps fight off the nasties. We all know we are more likely to “catch a cold”, when we subject ourselves to the cold. Yes, they are viruses, but it’s the ‘coldness’ that weakens our immune system, making us less able to deal with the invaders. So why make it harder for ourselves by drinking ‘cold’ things…not to mention the disastrous consequences it has for our digestive ‘fire’. Right now, go and get your favourite mug. Boil the kettle and start sipping warm/hot water regularly throughout the day.
Drinking warm/hot fluids (plain water mainly) heats your body, assisting immune function, circulation and your capacity to tolerate the cold. It avoids the multitude of disastrous effects that ‘cold fluids’ have on digestion (which works through the principle of ‘HEAT). It helps soften impurities/toxins in the body – the results of poorly digested food, aids the elimination of these impurities, and assists internal cleansing, weight loss and even things like constipation & arthritis.
* Notice how most people’s arthritis gets worse in winter…when the impurities ‘settle in’ to the joints.
It is certainly an easy, simple & cost-effective way of improving your health.
Boiling Water & Spices
When water boils, it gets charged with heat, becoming sharper in quality (In Ayurveda this is called, ‘sookshma’).
This sharpness allows it to cleanse the channels and penetrate deeper levels of the physiology.
It becomes easier for the body to flush out toxins and impurities because of the sharpness of the agni (heat) in the water .
Over time, it cleanses the channels, so the water is unobstructed as it travels into the body to hydrate the tissues, and travels out carrying waste. Adding certain spices to drinking water can create an added therapeutic effect by interacting with the water on the molecular level. Spices create different effects on the body through aroma and taste.
Ancient texts talk about the difference in the rate of absorption of regular water vs. boiled water:
1. regular water — takes about 6 hours if every channel is clear
2. boiled and cooled water — takes about 3 hours to be absorbed, and helps open the channels
3. warm/hot herbalized water — takes about 1 1/2 hours, due to the sharpness of ‘agni’ and the herbs and spices
1. If you don’t already, start switching from drinking chilled or ice-cold water (particularly, in winter).
2. Do not drink the water ‘boiling hot’ – this can leach minerals out of the body and is not recommended (it should be comfortable in your mouth).
3. When asking for warm water at a cafe/restaurant (instead of the ‘health- destroying’ iced-water they bring you as a matter of course), be ready to endure the weird looks your waiter/waitress will give you! Don’t worry, get used to being a little weird! Doing the exact opposite of what most people in our society do, is usually a sure sign that you are on the right track!